A 5,000-year-old system of natural healing, Ayurveda has its origin from the Vedic culture of India.
It is enjoying the resurgence in both its native land and throughout the world.
The term ‘Ayurveda’ means the science of life, where ‘ayur’ means life and ‘veda’ means science or knowledge.
With a unique approach of self-healing, Ayurveda is a system to cure people.
Today, with this article, we will talk about BAMS ( Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery)
BAMS is a course which is designed to teach students and make them familiar with the concepts of Ayurveda so that with its use, they could treat people.
BAMS is a professional course which you can do can do when you clear your 12th with PCB.
Let’s talk about course highlights-
|Name of course||BAMS in ayurvedic sciences|
|bams course duration||Three years + internship*|
|Stream||Ayurvedic medical science|
|Examination type||Yearly or semester|
|Admissions process||Entrance exam+ group discussion|
|Course fee||INR 3K to 15 lacs|
|Avg. starting salary||INR 2.5 to 12 lacs|
|Recruiting companies||Dabur, health care, University of Madras and more|
Let’s discuss everything in bams course details–
- BAMS is a graduate degree awarded after the successful completion of a five and a half years long program that covers 3 years of study and one and half years of internship.
- In the first year, non-clinical subjects like Sanskrit, samitha, history of modern medicine among others are taught. In the second year, pharmacology, pharmacy among others are taught. Third year is an important year where subjects like pathology, gynaecology and pediatrics are taught. The last year is for internship which covers an exhaustive investigation of current life structures, legal drug, and herbal science among others.
- BAMS COURSE ELIGIBILITY: Only 12th pass students who passed with science, biology stream are eligible to apply and minimum 50% marks are required for admission.
- AGE LIMIT: The age limit for the BAM program is 20 yrs for General category and 24 years for non general category.
- ADMISSION PROCESS: Admission process varies across institutes. Some of the institutes conduct their own entrance exams while some just select on the basis of their 10+2 score with PCB as subjects.
- Popular BAMS entrance exams are-
- Himachal Pradesh common entrance test
- Assam combined entrance test
- MHU-CET Maharashtra University entrance test.
- Top institutes offering Bachelor of Ayurveda are –
- Baba Farid University of Health sciences, Punjab.
- Maharashtra University of health sciences, Maharashtra
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Maharashtra
- Datta Meghe Institute of medical sciences, Maharashtra
- Jupiter Ayurved Medical College, Maharashtra
- Banaras Hindu University, Uttar Pradesh.
- Ayush and Health Science University, Chattisgarh
- National Institute of Technology, Nagaland
- Desh Bhagat University, Punjab
- Gujarat Ayurved University, Gujarat.
- Santhigiri Siddha medical college, Kerala
- DR DY Patil University, Maharashtra
- NTR University of health sciences, Uttar Pradesh
- Shree guru gobind singh Tricentenary University, Haryana
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Amritapuri campus, Kerala
- Sri Chandrasekharendra saraswathi viswa mahavidyalaya, Tamil Nadu
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, HP
- Shobit University, Uttar Pradesh
- Goutham College, Karnataka
- AVS Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Karnataka.
Advantages of pursuing BAMS:
- Unlike MBBS, getting admission in BAMS is relatively easy as here, competition is not cut throat.
- Since, competition is not high, students can easily get admission in govt. colleges without having to spend much.
- As compare of other medical systems, BAMS is gaining popularity in other countries and the treatment has lack of side effects.
Career and jobs: Since, Ayurveda is gaining popularity not only in India but also, in western countries, the career and job options are widely getting open for people.
When in many cases, Allopathic doesn’t able to cure any particular disease, people switch to Ayurvedic treatment and to their surprise, they do get results. Though, the treatment takes time and patience, but people do see the difference. There is not much side effects as we can see with allopathic treatment.
- The career opportunities are not only present in India but in western countries as well. Many organizations are working in the manufacturing and research fields in western countries and for that they require professionals.
- With BAMS degree, the candidates are eligible to be called doctors and even can do private practice.
- Not only in private sector, can you choose your career in government sector as well. Just clear the exam and earn. In fact, you can get job in government ayurveda hospital as a pharmacist.
- You can even open your retail shop of ayurvedic medicines.
- You can even find your career in teaching field. You can teach in Ayurveda Institutes.
- BAMS graduates are hired in the following capacities-
- Medical representatives
- Category manager
- Sales manager
- Sales representative
- Product manager
- Ayurvedic Doctor.
Salary: The salary which each institute or work place provides vary but to be precise, in a job of ayurvedic profession, the candidate gets salary from Rs 20,000 to Rs 50,000 depending upon the role and nature of his job profile.
Books and study material: It is important to have accurate information and study material to prepare for BAMS. After all, you are going to treat patients one day in the future. Their lives would be in your hands. So, its better that you know everything.
There are many popular books for BAMS. Some of the famous texts are-
- Ayurved Sanjivani by Dr. Sanjay Patil
- A textbook of Ayurvedic Physiology by Prof. SB Kotur and Dr. Shashikala Kotur
- A textbook on Salya Tantra by Rajneesh V Giri
- Textbook of Rasa Sastra by K. Rama Chandra Reddy
- A comprehensive guide on Caraka Sahita by Vaidya Vasant Patil
- A textbook on Kriya Sharira by Chahkhaba Sanskrit Pratisthan.
For a long time, study of Ayurveda was looked upon by the medical students but with time and researches and even results, people are understanding its core value and it has been popularity ever since. This medical system is accepted by everyone all over the world.