Have you ever thought of starting a small-scale business? Are you looking for an option that is different yet profitable? If yes, the fishery business plan in India is one of the finest. Fish farming not only offers you a good return, but with the growing number of seafood businesses, the profitability has increased multifold.
Additionally, Fishery Business is still at the nascent stage, which means it is the right time to enter the market and gain competitive leverage. But before you plan to start, there are multiple questions that you should understand and find the answers to.
From the simplest link to the investment needed to the fishes that are best for fish farming, and from marketing to expansion, you must consider various things.
So, let us answer all your questions linked to Fish Farming Business here.
Read also: 10 Coconut Based Business Ideas with Low Investment
Understanding Fish Farming And Its Advantages
Known as pisciculture, it is the art of breeding fish intending to sell them in the market. A very profitable venture involves everything from managing the fish, maintaining their health, and focusing on pond management to ensure that the outcome is beneficial and robust.
In India, fish contributes to around 60% of people’s diet and is one of the most important staples. Additionally, there are various ponds, lakes, rivers, or seas in India, making it easier to gain the resources needed. Further, you can do fish farming in collaboration with vegetable farming, which can offer dual benefits.
The main advantages of the fish farming business in India are as follows:
- Fishery Business is one of the highest demanded businesses globally. India ranks second aquaculture and third in fisheries production with around 1.07% contribution to the total GDP.
- Fish is a good source of protein and, at the same time, is one of the most budget-friendly meats available. Due to the large variety, it offers non-vegetarians an option to select as per choice.
- The weather and climate of India are perfect for Fish Farming Business.
- There is no need for any professional degree or qualification to start this business, making it the first choice of many. Also, you can begin this in collaboration with businesses like animals, birds, crops, and vegetable farming.
- The return on investment is comparatively quick, and additionally, you can also have ornamental fishes that you can breed for highly desirable pets.
The fish Farming Business involves deep planning, financial management, and licensing, unlike every other business. Though most of these factors remain the same, the major ones to consider first are linked to the fish and pond.
So, first, let us find the types of ponds and the top variety of commercial fishes to have.
Read Also: Starting Aloe Vera Farming Business – Make Huge Profits
All About Fish Farming Ponds
Every fish has their lifespan and growth process. Some fishes live for days while some for months. So, based on the same, the fish farming ponds must be designed. Also, various factors decide the right way to manage and maintain the pond.
Types Of Fish Farming Ponds
There are two types of ponds. One is natural, and the other is plastic made by humans.
When it comes to the fish farming business, we are more concerned about man-made ponds. Practically there are three types of ponds that serve the purpose:
- Nursery pond
It is the first pond where spawns are kept. They live here till they reach the size of 2-3 cm, which usually takes around 30-40 days.
- Hatchery fishery pond
This is where the young fishes are bred and fed. The fishes live here till they reach the size of 10-15 cms. This type of fish is known as fingerlings as these are around the size of the fingers.
- Storing pond
Once the fish has crossed the early stage and reached the adult stage, they are kept in the storing pond. This is where the fishes grow in size to reach their maximum before being sold in the market. Depending on the fish species, they live here for 9-10 months or more.
But how is the fish pond created? Well, let us have a look at this.
Read Also: List of Top 31 best Export Business in India
Designing The Fish Farming Ponds
The success of the fishery business plan in India is highly based on the structure of the pond. A wring structure can not only lead to losses but also can sometimes lead to failed breeding as well.
So, here are the factors that play an important part in the pond’s design.
- Keep the depth a minimum of 9-14 ft. Make sure to remove the roots, stones, and everything before laying down the sheet to create the pond.
- Clear around 10 meters of the area surrounding the pond.
- Keep gravel to around 10% only.
- Make sure to maintain the pH of the pond between 7-8 as this is where fishes can live.
- The layer inside the pond should include 10-25% of silt, 25-30% clay, and 35-45% sand. Also, the sand: clay ratio should be 1:2 and thickness only 20cm.
- Attach the necessary cleaning equipment that can filter the water.
- Build the pond to get sufficient air and sunlight required by the fishes. Also, if you can set up the Fishery Business at a place with good rains, it will free you from the worry of water management to a great extent.
- Create a proper fence that will prevent other animals from entering the pond.
Once the pond is created, you need to ensure that its water is changed every month or week, depending on its size and area. Also, use the hose to generate oxygen in the pons 4-5 times a week for around 30 minutes each time.
Now your pond is ready, but which fish are you planning to have? How should you select the fish? Well, let us have a look at this aspect now.
Selecting Fish Species For Fish Farming
Selecting the fish is a very extensive process. There are hundreds of varieties of fish, but not all are great options for breeding and having in the house. Knowing the perfect one is not simple, but a lack of information can be daunting.
Broad Types Of Fish For Farming
Broadly speaking, there are three varieties of fish:
- Finfish like catfish, trout, carp, salmon, and others.
- Shellfish like clams, oysters, shrimp, mollusks, and others.
- Ornamental fish like koi, goldfish, tetras, danios, black molly, and others.
Factors Affecting Fish Selection For Fish Farming
The factors that impact the fish species election for fish farming include:
- Market demand for the fish.
- Available resources.
- Local facilities are available.
- Maintenance needs.
- Environmental considerations.
Top Variety Of Fish For Fish Farming In India
The top variety of fishes that you can adopt for the fish farming business in India includes Katla, Rui, Grass Carp, Silver Carp, Common Carp, Tilapia, Koi, Shrimp, various types of catfish, and a few others.
Feeding Fish For Fish Farming In India
Now, once you have selected the fish for Fishery Business, you also need to know the feeding process. Since the fishes will live in an artificial environment, it is necessary to feed them properly to ensure their healthy growth. There are two varieties of foods that you can feed to them, which include:
- Natural fish feed
These are the food that naturally survives in the pond; these improve the soil quality and fertility and help clean the ecosystem. These include tiny aquatic insects, plankton, Wolffia, pistia, rotted animal parts, basal organics, Lemna and Eichhornia, and types of grasses such as para.
- Supplementary fish feed
Since you are in the fishery business, you need to have healthy fishes to sell in the market. The wide variety of supplements includes dried molasses, green leaves of various vegetables, minerals and vitamins, fish meal, silk kit meal, kitchen leftovers, refined pulse and wheat, rice bran, and others.
The natural food might be insufficient for the fish, so these supplements will help them get all the nutrients and grow well.
How To Introduce Fish To Fish Farming Ponds?
Like every other living organism, fishes do not like their habitat changes. So when you are planning to shift any of the fish from one pond to another, you need to be very cautious. Sometimes instant change can even lead to their death which is not a good sign.
It’s best to put the fish in the bucket for 20-25 minutes to let it settle and get aware of the surroundings. After that, slowly leave the fish in the pond and do not haste or throw it in water. Slowly releasing will increase the chances of survival and positive breeding.
Planning The Fishery Business In India
Now you know all the basic considerations related to the fishery business in India. Once you are clear of your selections and choices, it is time to determine the broad steps to follow to start the business.
Practically, the steps are quite basic. So, here are they:
1. Business plan designing
The first step is to draft the business plan that will include the details of the market trends, segment, pond design, fish species to have, and even the final customer like direct to customer or store or hotel.
2. Set the location
You know the considerations and varieties of ponds that you need now. So, it is time to look for the location where you can create the pond and breed the fish for Fish Farming Business. Make sure to have appropriate space. If it is near some residential area, check for NOC as many do not welcome the foul smell.
3. Arrange the resources
When you have your pond ready, it is time to arrange for the resources. The Fish Farming Business needs licenses, bank accounts, registrations, and other resources to get started. Availing all these will help you to move ahead and start the business.
You will also need to have the financial resources here as well. A small-scale business will need INR 30-50k initially and around INR 1-1.5 lac to run, including fish food, marketing, packaging, cleaning, maintenance, and others.
4. Register, market, and connect
Once you have all the resources, you can now register your business. Visit the local authorities for the same. Your business is ready and all set to earn profits for you.
It is time to market it accordingly and turn your venture into a profitable option with various options to add to your income source. Make sure to have both online and offline marketing plans for the greatest reach and connectivity.
The pricing considerations are very important and should be taken care of at this stage. Analyze the market, your investment, and profit considerations before you move ahead with setting the price.
5. Earn and expand
Once you have positively marketed the fishery business plan in India, you can now earn the profit and opt for expansion. According to a round estimate, the profit potential is high, and you can expect to earn around three lacs INR with the investment stated above. These funds will allow you to expand your business.
Some Quick Tips For Fishery Business In India
- Ensure a supply of clean water to keep your fish healthy.
- Check the pH level of the water before breeding for successful results.
- Always have collaboration with qualified suppliers for fish eggs and fish food.
- Keep the legal and compliance needs stringent.
- Ensure that you have proper transport facilities to reach the market.
- Know the demand first, then select the fish species.
- Avoid planning in haste with a lack of resources as it can be harmful.
Fishery Business in India is one of the best opportunities to earn economies of scale and have a profitable and lucrative outcome. It offers the opportunity to the entrepreneur to unleash the high potential.
Though the fishery business plan in India seems straightforward, there are various factors that you should consider. Ensure appropriate time to the business as it will need a minimum of 6-8 months to generate profits.
In India, fish farming is an industry that will never go away. Fish demand is rising in tandem with population expansion, and it will continue to rise in the foreseeable future. As a result, there is a significant chance of making money and finding work in the fish farming business.
So, plan your Fishery business today for a better tomorrow!