With the reality shows on television offer a huge talent platform to people to showcase their flair in front of the camera, we have observed an increased preference of students and parents towards joining extracurricular activities. Parents have now realized that their kids can have a career through music, dancing, acting, cricket, etc., along with the traditional academic field.
Naturally, the demand for extracurricular activity centres is relatively high in the market. Even in the rural areas of India, we see the trend of kids joining activity classes for singing, dancing, painting, and similar alongside their academic tuitions. In metropolises, parents are prepared to pay more for extracurricular activity classes as it promises future talent exposure.
If you have a plan to open your extracurricular activity centre and if you have the talent to teach something extra, it is the right business opportunity for you.
Understanding your Options
Before you plan to open your afterschool extracurricular activity centre, we advise looking for the best extracurricular activities for kids near me. You can check the list of extracurricular activities available in these centres, understand your strengths, business scope, probable customer age group, and prepare a business plan.
What Options do you have in Extracurricular Activities?
To understand your options, you need to know the different genres of extracurricular activities available for kids, the name of the activities under each genre and the preferable student age group.
Here we have the option list divided as per genres.
- Drama Schools
- Improv Club
- Stand-up Comedian class
- Theatre Arts Class
- Elocution and Oration Club
- Singing Classes
- Instrument Classes like a violin, guitar, cello, or similar
- Jazz Band Coaching
- Concert Band Club
- Choir Club
- Opera Training Club
- Folk Music Centres
- Ballet Centres
- Tango and Salsa Classes
- Classical Dance Classes
- Contemporary Dance Academy
- Laen Tennis
- Table Tennis
The list of activities can stretch further. Does it seem confusing? Are you wondering what your best choice is?
By now, you know all your options, what kind of students you can expect from your area, and the budget you have to set up an extracurricular activity academy. It is now time to identify your strengths if you wish to teach any of the activities. If you want to stay as the sole business owner, you will have to look for talented professionals to conduct sessions with the students. This phase is about market research.
Traits you Need to Become an Extracurricular Academy Owner
Patience is the pillar to the success of any business idea. But if you want to start an academy of extracurricular activities in India, you need to have the following traits-
- An extracurricular academy owner must possess some additional talent apart from academics to understand the fundamental progress of the business.
- Setting up an academy and keeping the kids engaged requires extreme dedication and commitment.
- Leadership trait is essential to run every organization in today’s world.
- The quality to assess the teachers you recruit for conducting classes at your academy.
How to Start an Extracurricular Activity Centre?
Starting an extracurricular academy in India is very similar to starting any business. It requires thorough planning before execution. The planning phase here is elaborate.
Step 1: Business Planning
- Identify your talents and understand the options of extracurricular activities available for you.
- Conduct a market survey to understand which activity has high demand
- If the in-demand activity genre matches your skills, look out for probable trainers in those fields.
- Plan your business structure – do you want to conduct only one type of activity session in your academy? Or is there scope for more?
- Understand the age group of kids expected at your academy and consider it while hiring trainers.
- Locate an ideal site or building to set up your academy.
- Decide on a business budget.
- Determine the business structure
Step 2: Business Setup
Once you have planned your business, it is time to execute the plan. The execution phase begins by naming your academy. We recommend selecting a name that pertains to the field of extracurricular activity you plan to teach. The following steps are also a part of business set up-
- Get your business name and logo registered
- Acquire a license for the academy
- Hire professionals to conduct classes
- Prepare a website with details of activities you plan to provide
- Rate your services aptly after a market survey
Step 3: Promotion and Marketing
The third phase is about the promotion of your academy. Just like every business, an academy also needs promotion. You can start by telling your friends, family members, or colleagues about your academy. If you have a plan to launch the academy, you can follow these processes-
- Conduct promotion through social media platforms
- Join communities and discuss about your academy with interested people
- Prepare a list teh list of probable customers with contact details
- Create newsletters and share them with your contact list, mentioning the services, their prices, and prevailing offers.
- Send out invitations for your launch.
Having an online presence is the key to success in the modern world.
Running an extracurricular activity coaching centre is a successful business opportunity in today’s world. However, if you don’t have the proper setup, your business might not flourish the way you expect it to. Especially after the pandemic, now, every academy needs to have the option of conducting virtual classes and seminars. Your academy set-up and the expertise of trainers there build your brand image.