Starting a career in the fashion designing industry is probably a dream for many young and creative people worldwide. Fashion trends are ever-changing, and if you think you have what it takes to make a difference in the industry, it has excellent career opportunities.
The industry requires fashion students who understand the changing trend, knows how to sketch a new costume design, and show creativity in their work. It is the industry for people with the power of imagination.
Do you want to become a freelance fashion designer or start your own boutique? We recommend starting from scratch. Begin your journey by pursuing a degree or diploma course in fashion designing, followed by on-the-job training, and finally working with top fashion designers to gain experience.
All these three phases are essential before you start something on your own. While you train and gain experience, you learn apparel and cloth designing intricacies. Working with the top designers helps you stay updated with the prevailing fashion trend. Each of the phases forms a foundation for your success as an individual fashion designer.
Who is a Fashion Designer?
Fashion designing as a profession is already a renowned field. Its connection with the fashion industry leads to opportunities in the film industry as well.
Leading fashion designers like Sabyasachi, Manish Malhotra, or Rohit Bal have brought in a new trend in the Bollywood industry. Such is the power of a talented fashion designer. A fashion designer is responsible for handling every aspect of fashion. From designing and sketching apparel and clothing items to selecting the patterns and textures of the materials for a dress, everything is a fashion designer’s responsibility.
Career Scope for Fashion Designers in India
It can be a tedious job, yet a fashion designer enjoys one of the most fascinating job roles in the world. If you have the talent and creativity of designing dresses and apparel, this industry provides several opportunities of embracing your passion for art. The fashion industry respects individuals with high potential in designing, and it often leads to glamour, fame, and a high income.
As a fashion designer, you can expect job opportunities in the below sectors-
- Working with fabric export companies
- Owning fashion boutiques
- Working as a freelance fashion designer
- Jobs in fabric manufacturing houses
- Departments related to garments and apparel in retail chains
- Showrooms of leading fashion icons
- Film and television industry
- 1a fashion designing teacher in several institutes
What Qualifications Do you Need to be a Fashion Designer?
If you want to be a successful fashion designer, start your journey by joining a Degree or Diploma course in Fashion Technology or Fashion Designing or Textile Designing, or any similar field. To get admission to the top fashion designing colleges in India, you need to clear entrance examinations like NIFT/NID/CEED/UCEED after completing your 12th standard. A generous score in the entrance examinations secures your future with a Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Designing.
The other qualifications of importance are-
- On-the-job training certificate
- Internship with leading fashion brands
Why is Fashion Designing Well for your Career?
Did you know that fashion designing is currently one of the in-demand professions worldwide? The field offers a scope of creativity to talented individuals who have an eye for art and details. As you join the industry, you start blending with different cultures, learn about various ethnic attires, understand the difference between contemporary and traditional clothing, and master the art of fusion. It is the field that allows you to show your creativity with colour, designs, and fabric.
We consider it as a promising career opportunity for people with a love for fashion because-
- Your passion for fashion when converted into a career provides the ultimate job satisfaction
- It offers you the choice of freelancing and creating a personal brand image.
- Opens the door to unlimited fun and creativity.
- A member of the fashion industry gets exceptional discounts and margins on fashion products almost everywhere.
- Fame is guaranteed for talented individuals.
- A job in this industry opens the door to worldwide touring.
- It is a challenging workspace with high competition.
- Chances of growth are high with your effort, creativity and uniqueness.
- The fashion industry offers you the chance to have encounters with celebrities.
6 Tips for Starting your own Fashion Designing Business
Do you want to start your own fashion designing house? The best way to do so is to start a boutique store. Of course, you can always work as a freelance designer and grow into a renowned individual. But owning a fashion brand or boutique house is the best way to make money.
Here we have 6 tips to help you succeed as a fashion designing business owner.
- Plan your business like an entrepreneur and own your fashion products
- Understand your customers and design new unique products accordingly
- Display all your fashion items on your website to get brand recognition.
- Print flyers and brochures, distribute in your mailing list and promote the fashion brand over social media
- Be prepared to face production challenges
- Seek feedback from customers and make improvements in your designs
If you are a fashion designer, we recommend you to gain considerable experience from different branded fashion houses and start your own firm. With experience, you will know your products and how to create them. Identify your customers and sell your products to generate revenue. Displaying your creativity through products is the key to creating a brand image and succeeding in your business in the fashion industry.