Using a VPN for accessing different websites is common in today’s world. But what is VPN?
VPN or Virtual Private Network can be described as a way of establishing protected connectivity through private networks. The VPN uses encryption to disguise one’s identity and web traffic. Such encryption ensures that no third party is able to detect your online activity or hack your data. It involves real-time data encryption.
The Work of VPN
VPN helps in hiding the IP address of the user. It redirects the network through a VPN host’s remote server. So when you use a VPN to surf online, you access data from the VPN server. Thus, the ISP and other users are unable to detect your online activity. VPN is the ideal filter that changes your online data to “gibberish,” making it useless to hackers.
Why use VPN?
VPN connectivity does more than just disguise the user identity only. It keeps your data safe from external sources. The other benefits of VPN include-
- Secured data encryption to prevent hacking and hide user activity even when you use a public server.
- It disguises your IP address and offers you a proxy server.
- If you use a VPN server, you often get access to hidden regional content that is not readily available on the internet.
- The VPN location spoofing support helps you switch your server to another country’s server to access regional content.
- Data transferring through VPN servers become more secured because of the encryption. There are reduced chances of leakage in data.
How does a good VPN work?
If you are multitasking on your system, you need a strong VPN server that has not been compromised. Some of the works that a trusted VPN does are-
Table of Contents
1. IP Address Encryption:
Hiding your IP address from third parties is the primary task of a VPN. The encryption of IP address ensures that your send and receive data online without getting detected.
2. Strong Encryption Protocol:
The VPN encryption protocols prevent data leakage like your search history. VPN encrypts the cookies to protect confidential personal and financial data on websites.
3. Application of Kill Switch:
A good VPN server always detects unexpected downtime in advance and uses the kill switch to terminate programs selected by you. It saves your data from getting compromised and doesn’t interrupt the work.
4. Authentification with two-factor:
VPN uses various means of authentication of the user or whoever logs in. It uses a two-factor authentication method where you need to enter your password, followed by a code of authentication sent on your phone to access the server.
How to Surf Online Using VPN?
There are 3 steps to using a VPN for online surfing-
- Start the VPN when you go online. VPN will act as a bridge between the internet and you by masking your ISP.
- Once you access the VPN server, you connect to the local VPN network, thus changing your IP address to one of the VPN servers.
- You can start surfing instantly on the internet after connecting with a VPN.
Types of VPN available
Though there are several types of VPN available around us, 3 major ones have gained popularity-
- SSL Secure Sockets Layer VPN
- Site-to-site VPN, essentially for private networks
- Client-to-Server VPN that connects through the user’s ISP
In the modern world of cybercrime, VPN servers offer the ultimate security while connecting you with the internet. It protects your data by disguising your IP address and data encryption. As you use a VPN to surf online, you remain invisible to third parties.