Owning a cybersecurity business is a lot more than just selling solutions for the internet security of individuals or corporate. As a cybersecurity business owner, you have to provide your customers with solutions for software programming.
These solutions protect the company or individual’s data integrity and internet security by preventing virus remote virus attacks on the system introduced by cyber trolls. In short, the cyber solution you provide should prevent data pilferage by remote viruses with criminal motives.
As an owner, you should constantly develop new cybersecurity solutions as you will face new forms of malware and viruses attempting to destroy your customer’s digital circuit every time. Always remember malware and viruses are ever-changing, and each has unique properties. Blocking them requires unique solutions every time.
The ever-changing nature of the viruses increases the demand for cybersecurity experts. Hence, it is a business solution with vast opportunities.
How to start a Cybersecurity Business?
Providing internet security solutions is the perfect idea for a business in 2021. However, the starting process for this business is more than registration, licenses, and promotion. You need to possess specific skills in this field and hire trustable technicians to develop software.
We have a 10-step guide to starting the perfect cybersecurity business.
Step 1: Business Planning
Your primary job as an entrepreneur is to devise an innovative and meaningful business plan before you execute them.
- Understand how much it may cost for starting a cyber security agency
- Prepare an expense sheet to understand the running cost of the company.
- Identify your target clientele.
- Find and set up an office.
- Devise methods of revenue generation from various cyber security services
- Conduct a market survey to identify your competitors in the market, the services they provide and how much they charge for those services
- Price your services in a just manner
- Prepare a budget and estimate the profit margin you can earn from your services
- Devise a road map for the business to develop and earn more profit in the long run.
- Name your business, ensuring that the name is related to the industry.
- Research State and Federal trademark records, social media records, and domain availability to ensure you have a unique name.
- Register the business name before others.
Step 2: Business Structure Formation
Once the business plan is ready, decide the business structure and register your business into a legal firm. Some of the legal business structuring options are-
- Sole proprietorship
Step 3: Tax Registration
Get legal advice from sales tax representatives to understand the Federal and state tax structure and register your business for taxation. Start by applying for EIN. The tax structure varies with the business structure.
Step 4: Creation of Bank Accounts
A new business always needs a current bank account and company credit card. We always suggest you keep the personal and current bank accounts separate. Some of the best options for banking are-
- Opening a business or current account with the bank
- Getting a net-30 account for credit arrangements of 30-days from the time of receiving goods or services from vendors.
- Get a credit card for business purposes only.
Step 5: Business Accounting Support
From the 1st day of your business, keep an account of the income sources and revenues generated. It helps in improving the financial operation of the business and future tax filing every year.
Step 6: Licensure and Registration
A business setup is never complete if you have not obtained all necessary licenses and permits to operate the business. You will face heavy penalties for failing to do so. Permits and licences you require are-
- A business license from the local and state authority
- Sign a service agreement stating the business policies, terms and conditions, and payment terms.
Step 7: Business Insurance
Apart from permits and licenses, every business needs basic insurance before starting. Choose an insurance policy such that it covers all losses incurred on the business. Two major insurances a company needs are-
- General Liability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Step 8: Logo for a Brand and Promotion
Naming your business is never to stand out in the market. You need to create a logo, get your trademark registered and establish your brand. Establishing a new brand for cybersecurity in the market requires rigorous promotion.
Step 9: Website Creation
A cybersecurity business will not get enough importance in the market until you have a website of your own describing all your services. It shows the legitimacy of your company.
Step 10: Initiate a Business Phone System
This might not seem like an essential plan during the initiation of your business. But setting up a business phone system will be beneficial for the entrepreneur as the business flourishes. It keeps the business calls separate from personal calls.
How Much can you Earn from a Cyber Security Business?
You will get an estimate of your business earnings when you create a business plan. Some of the expenses you incur while running an internet security business are the office space rental, salaries of the cybersecurity technicians, and utility bills.
The initiation of the business will require capital investment for computers and software for cyber protection support. Moreover, there are promotional expenses to get customers.
A cybersecurity business generally covers a startup and development expense of about $500,000 during the 1st year of the business.
Once the business starts rolling, you can expect individuals to pay about $50-$100 per year for their cyber protection. A company generally pays about $20,000 per year for data protection and security if you target corporate clients. Furthermore, there are consultation fees.
On average, a cybersecurity analyst earns about $95,000-$150,000. Your expenses and income vary with the size of
The modern internet-dependent world is always under the threat of a cybersecurity attack. Starting an internet security business in this market seems ideal with a high potential for expansion.
However, to succeed in your business, you need to hire cyber tech experts and programming geniuses who understand the ever-changing nature of malware and determine the best software to prevent the attacks.