Error adding friend steam is expected to go smoothly. Chances will be high that you’re encountering issues with the system popping up error messages with adding friend Steam.
Steam error adding friend reflects that there may be a bug in the Steam friend system between you and your friend.
Blocking and unblocking such bugs ensures resetting the machine and allowing you to add your friend again with the error message. Different modules and rules set by Steam also sometimes govern the issue. The problem associated with the friend system is one of the major issues as a past report states that the friend system is glitchy.
The limited account is another issue. Steam introduced a ‘limited account’ to stop you from adding friends. Blocked Users is one of the major reasons why you’re facing this error message. If the user you want to add is blocked, then you will get no other way than unblocking him or her.
Friend Limit is one of the aspects that you need to consider whenever it comes to adding a friend. Steam has a mechanism that works automatically to limit the maximum number of friends.
If you exceed the number, you won’t be able to add more people.
5 Ways To Resolving The Error When Adding Friends in Steam
Sing The Command steam://flushconfig
Easily fix this problem with the steam://flushconfig command.
- Press Windows + R that opens the Run dialog box.
- Now Type steam://flushconfig in the Run dialog box> Press OK or Enter.
- Steam will now reset settings and give you the opportunity to add friends again.
Checking Whether The User Is Blocked
Blocking a particular user on Steam makes you unable to add them as a friend.
To unblock a user, follow these steps:
- Open Steam profile> Click the Manage Friends link that you spot on the right side of the page.
- Click the Blocked Users tab> Find a Blocked user
- Click on it > Click More >>> Select Unblock all Communications.
- Click Yes>>> Unlock to Unlock the user
Disabling Family Sharing
Are you facing issues due to steam error adding friends? Disabling family sharing causes problems when adding friends. Disable it permanently. Follow the steps:
- Start Steam> Go to the Settings > Open the Family tab.
- Select Manage other PCs button > Disable all PCs. OR do this from your Steam profile with these steps:
Open Steam profile.
- Click on the little arrow next to Steam username > Select Account Details
- Scroll to the ‘Family Settings’ section > Click on the ‘Manage Family Library Sharing‘ option. That being said, you will get the list of authorized computers. > Click on the link ‘Unauthorize‘
- Ensure you remove all computers from the family share list
- Restart Steam > Try adding friends again
Checking Your Account Type
Steam has implemented a security measure that prevents scammers from adding new friends. Check if your account is limited.
Open Steam Client Click on View> Then Settings> Select Interface and check the Display Steam URL address when available
Now you go to View my profile and Copy the profile URL
After that Open URL in your Chrome Browser or Firefox and End the URL include /?xml=1
- Now Press Ctrl + F > and Type limited in the search box
- Press Enter to see the highlighted line. If you see 0, it refers to the fact that the account is not limited. If it is 1, you need to understand that account is limited.
- So, you will have to make a purchase from Steam and then add a friend again.
Checking The Friend Requests
Steam allows accessing a limited number of friend requests. Sometimes, the system doesn’t let you add friends because of the number of friends invited. Either accept or deny the friend request.
- Open Steam> Go to Friends > Your Friends
- Check for pending invites > Reject or Approve them
- Restart Steam to check if you can add friends.
Being able to play games with friends on Steam turns out to be one of the best features. In case you’re encountering regular restrictions on behalf of the system, be sure to check out these solutions or troubleshoot at the advanced level.
Fix Other Steam Errors